New swings installed at Dykeman center in Burien

A few weeks ago, the work of three citizen groups in Burien made it possible for the children at the Ruth Dykeman Children’s Center to get their swings set back.

The groups were Neighbors of Seahurst Park, the Lake Burien Neighborhood and Sustainable Burien. While many people contributed to the project, John Feeney from Sustainable Burien facilitated the ground work of the actual installation of the swings.

Several years ago, the children at the Dykeman center on Lake Burien lost their swing set. In these difficult economic times, it is hard for residential treatment facilities to provide the children in their care with extras like new swings.

Very few of these types of residential living facilities exist any longer in the state because the state refuses to fund the residential placement of these children at 100 percent of the cost it takes for their care.

Currently the children only receive 60 percent funding from the state of what is required for their care. This means that the other 40 percent of the funding for the children must come from charitable donations.

For over 88 years the center has been serving the community by providing compassionate, innovative programs that benefit children of all ages. Their work in communities, schools and in residential facilities has been changing the future for thousands of children every year, many being treated for the effects of trauma, abuse and neglect.

If you have any further question about the Ruth Dykeman Childrens Center, a Navos program, or wish to contribute, contact

We encourage our readers to comment. No registration is required. We ask that you keep your comments free of profanity and keep them civil. They are moderated and objectionable comments will be removed.