Matt Markovich
Police tape blocks the entrance to the home where Normandy Park Police discovered the body of an elderly man who is believed to have been shot on Saturday afternoon. Hamlin, the name hanging above the driveway, is the last name of the former owner of this home.

UPDATE:Elderly man shot and killed, granddaughter severely beaten in Normandy Park attack

Suspect in custody in King County Jail

By Matt Wendland
Normandy Park Police responded to 911 calls on Saturday, January 25th, to find an elderly man dead and one woman in critical condition. 

Two calls came in to dispatch on Saturday evening. The first call, at just before 3pm, asked police to come to a home on Normandy Terrace because a woman, later to be determined was the granddaughter of their neighbor, had been severely beaten and that she had escaped to the caller's yard where she had collapsed. The second call came in just minutes later. This call was to report a shooting that took place just a few doors down from where the first call was made.

When Normandy Park Police arrived on the scene, they found an elderly man who had been shot. King County medical personnel declared the man deceased. The second victim, the woman who had been beaten, was transported to Valley Medical Center where she was last reported to be in stable condition. 

According to Sargent Brian Sommer of the Normandy Park Police Department, police currently have a suspect in custody who they believe acted alone. "We do have somebody in custody and we don’t believe there is anybody else outstanding… We believe the neighborhood is no longer in any danger…” he reported in an interview in front of the scene of the crime on Saturday night. 

While police have yet to release any major details about the crime, neighbors report that suspect was a guest in the victim’s home and that the woman who was rushed to Valley Medical Center was the deceased victim’s granddaughter. Neighbors also reported that she said she had been hit multiple times in the head with a crowbar by the suspect. 

While we could only confirm back as far as 2001, many residents on the scene of the crime reported that this is the first homicide the community has experienced since 1987. Sommer confirmed that in his 13 years of serving the City of Normandy Park, this is their first homicide investigation. 

The Coalition of Small Police Agencies’ Major Crime Task Force is assisting Normandy Park with the investigation. 

Original report Jan. 25

Normandy Park Police were dispatched to the 18100 block of Normandy Terrace S.W. on an assault call around 2:47 p.m. on Jan. 25. While enroute a second caller reported a shooting at a residence in the 18500 block of Normandy Terrace S.W.
Medical aid went to both addresses and two victims were found in the residence in the 18500 block.
A male was pronounced dead by King County Medic personnel. The other victim was taken to Valley Medical Center.
Police apprehended a suspect and they were taken to King County Jail and booked. No other suspects are known or at large at this time, but the investigation is continuing.

The Coalition of Small Police Agencies Major Crime Task Force is assisting Normandy Park with the investigation.

We encourage our readers to comment. No registration is required. We ask that you keep your comments free of profanity and keep them civil. They are moderated and objectionable comments will be removed.