Photos by Kurt Howard
Even though it looks as if Colin Cassette of Kennedy Catholic is helping Mt Si's Colton Oord do a hand stand, he isn't.

Kennedy wins in state shootout

By Gerardo Bolong

Kennedy Catholic shooters continued to foster Lancer head coach Teddy Mitalas' superstitious ways when Simon Thomas kicked in a goal that won the match for the Lancers in a 2-1 overtime shootout win against Mt. Si at Highline Stadium on Wed., May 21.

The first-round Class 3A boys soccer win followed three shootout losses in the first round in previous years and produced JFK's first state win since 2008.

Following a 1-1 regulation time draw, the teams battled through two 5-minute overtime sessions before the tense shootout ensued.

The Wildcats (13-2-2) drew the first turn as goals from Connor Williams, Aaron Baumgardner and Max Adamson were matched respectively by Jake DeGagne, Jake Swaller and Kyle Peterson of Kennedy (14-1-5). In the fourth round, Lancer goalkeeper Leyton Thommasen dove low and to his right to deflect Alex Dolewski's shot.

"I've played against him in club," said Thommassen. "I was going to go the opposite of the way he lined up, but then decided to go the way he was pointing."

Jesus Garcia scored for Kennedy for a temporary 4-3 Lancer lead. The Wildcats' last shooter Evan Betz then evened the score before Thomas blasted the clincher high and to the right in net, triggering a wild and enthusiastic celebration.

"I'm No. 5 as the penalty kick taker, so I know the pressure's going to be on me," Thomas said about continuing the streak of 15 penalty kicks in a row over two seasons. "No matter what, save, no save, it's all going to be on me."

Head coach Mitalas admitted his superstitions about shootouts.
"I never watch penalty kicks (in a shootout)," said the sixth-year Kennedy coach and veteran prep mentor. "I didn't see what happened. I face the other way. I've done it ever since I was coaching at Shoreline. I didn't want to jinx us."

Seventh-ranked Lakeside (13-2-2) visits Kennedy Catholic at 1 p.m. match at Highline Stadium on Saturday, May 24.

After the 10-minute mark of regulation, Kennedy Catholic stormed the battlements until senior Colin Cossette seized a loose ball and hammered it into a wide open left corner of net for a 1-0 Lancer lead in the 42nd minute.

Mt. Si began powering into Kennedy Catholic territory more regularly at the end of the first half, but it was a Kennedy defensive mistake that opened the way for Mt. Si's Williams to tap an uncontested shot into an open right side of net three minutes later, tying the score at 1-1, which stood up through the remainder of regulation and the two 5-minute overtime periods.

We encourage our readers to comment. No registration is required. We ask that you keep your comments free of profanity and keep them civil. They are moderated and objectionable comments will be removed.