by Rob Clay and Sharon Burkhart*
From Ohio in 1902, Jacob Ambaum arrived with his wife Mary, found work helping clear land for part of the Cedar River rail line near Renton that same year. He also helped clear the land along SW Roxbury St. up to the intersection of McKinnon Rd. (now Delridge) and 16th S.W. in what is virtually downtown White Center.
Seattle was a bustling place at the turn of the century. The city had streetcars all the way to the tide flats at Spokane Street. and across them to the shores of Harbor Avenue. The growth of immigrant families, Italians, Germans, Slavs and a few Irish were intent on developing the south end. Chicken farms became popular along the streetcar line, especially from 120th to 128th in what became part of Burien.More ›